Vice President, New York
Abernathy MacGregor, a leading strategic communications advisor, is looking for an experienced professional to join its New York office as a Vice President. Our clients include many of the world’s leading companies and organizations, who come to us for help communicating their stories to policymakers, regulators, investors, customers, employees and other key audiences. The optimal candidate will have corporate or agency experience, a general understanding of financial communications, as well as exceptional writing skills and media relationships. Candidates will be asked to help manage client projects, provide tactical support, help pursue new business activities and help provide advice and counsel directly to clients.
- Four to seven years of capital markets, corporate communications or investor relations agency experience with strong knowledge of at least two, and preferably more of our core practice areas including
- Corporate public relations including digital and social media where applicable
- Investor relations
- Stakeholder communications
- Mergers & acquisitions
- Shareholder activism
- Crisis management
- Alternative investments
- Restructuring and bankruptcy
- Litigation and regulatory action
- Board and C-Suite advisory services
- A bachelor’s degree
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- Demonstrable advanced writing skills, e.g. ability to draft longer, complex documents such as deal releases, equity research reports, speeches, op-eds, strategy memos, white papers, etc.
- PowerPoint skills
- Ability to help with client development including ability to analyze research reports and prepare pitch materials
Operational capabilities should include ability to:
- Adapt to supporting the team in a range of disciplines and needs
- Work calmly and collaboratively with colleagues to deliver high-quality advice and client-ready work, often in times of high-stakes change
- Build trust and work effectively with primary client contacts
- Distill pertinent information from multiple workstreams
- Work effectively with reporters and news media on behalf of clients
- Engage with sell-side analysts, portfolio managers and other members of the investment community on behalf of clients
- Collaborate with equivalent team members from law firms, investment banks, other advisors
- Develop a personal network of peers in above constituencies
- Serve as a firm ambassador in external marketing functions
- Identify potential new business opportunities and contribute meaningfully to business generation initiatives, including with existing clients
- Act as a project manager for high intensity projects such as deals or crisis situations
- Contribute meaningfully to new business presentations and client strategy sessions
- Manage projects for quality control, timeliness, respect for internal and client processes and budget
- Mentor and supervise the work of junior team members
How we measure success
- Demonstrate a collaborative personality, working with different people across different geographies, seeking and successfully achieving buy-in on project approaches and concepts
- Be a sought-after internal partner, known for sound advice, reliable and on-brand performance and respect for both Abernathy MacGregor and client approval processes
- Superior quality, reliable and timely work and commitment to a 24/7 work environment when needed
To apply, please upload your resume and cover letter to LinkedIn or send both documents to firstname.lastname@example.org. (A complete application will include both documents.) We will review your application and contact you if you are selected for an interview.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. We will not sponsor applicants for work visas.
About Abernathy MacGregor
Abernathy MacGregor (abmac.com) is a leading strategic communications firm with offices in New York, Houston, Los Angeles, San Francisco and Washington D.C. We specialize in advising CEOs, board directors and senior executives on effective stakeholder communications, engagement and advocacy initiatives amid changing expectations and demands from a range of internal and external stakeholders. The firm has a proven 36-year history helping clients build and preserve value, seize opportunities and solve problems.
We create communications and engagement strategies for pivotal business events from crisis management and litigation to M&A and shareholder activism to CEO transitions, both planned and unexpected. We also help clients create and maintain day-to-day, best-in-class communications and engagement practices. These include reputation management, investor relations and media relations counsel, government affairs and governance support.
Abernathy MacGregor is a member of Havas SA, which is one of the largest global advertising and communications groups in the world. We are also a founding member of AMO (amo-global.com), the leading international network of strategic communications consultancies.
Abernathy MacGregor is an equal opportunity employer. We value and welcome employees of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and viewpoints, including race, religion, national origin, gender identity and sexual orientation. We believe this diversity contributes meaningfully to the quality of the counsel we provide and enriches the culture of our firm.