Who We Are
Tom Johnson is Chief Executive Officer of Abernathy MacGregor (AMG), where he is shaping a growth strategy that builds upon AMG’s powerful heritage as a trusted partner to leading organizations in times of change. Tom counsels CEOs, executive teams and Boards of Directors on all strategic communications matters, with a particular focus on special situations such as transactions, activist investors, crises, management changes and governance matters.
In line with the firm’s tradition of long-lasting client relationships, Tom has advised leading global public and private companies through a number of critical situations including; CBS Corp., Comcast, Carlyle Group, GCM Grosvenor, Hershey’s, JAB Holdings, Keurig, Mylan, Office Depot, T-Mobile, TPG, Sanofi, Starwood Capital and Vodafone. He also has a particular expertise in M&A and activist defense situations, having advised companies on a wide variety of complex and high-profile transactions and activist situations over the past several years.
As a recognized leader in communications, he is frequently asked to speak at events and has been a guest speaker at the Tulane Corporate Law Institute, the Garrett Corporate and Securities Law Institute and 13D Monitor’s Activism conference, among others.
He serves as Vice Chairman of Board for the Volunteers of America’s Greater New York Chapter. Prior to Abernathy MacGregor, Tom was editor-in-charge of Investment Banking and Finance for Reuters, where he also ran the M&A and IPO desks. Earlier, he worked at CNN Financial News and at The Daily Record newspaper in Baltimore.
Tom has advised:
- Mylan on its acquisitions of Meda and Abbott’s branded specialty business, its defense against a hostile bid for Teva and its takeover offer for Perrigo
- The Wounded Warrior Project Board of Directors through a management change, an investigation of allegations raised about spending at the organization and the appointment of a new executive team
- JAB Holdings on its acquisitions of Peet’s Coffee, D.E. Master Blenders, Keurig Green Mountain, Krispy Kreme and Caribou Coffee
- Office Depot on its merger with OfficeMax, multiple interactions with activist investors and its merger announcement with Staples
- KKR, TPG Capital and Goldman Sachs on the bankruptcy filing of Energy Future Holdings
- Vodafone plc on the sale of its stake in Verizon Wireless
- Companies ranging from Carlyle Group to Coty to Dunkin Brands on their initial public offerings
- Closely held companies including Meredith Corp., Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group, Guardian Industries and MWH through transformative transactions and events
- CSX Corp. on the unsolicited approach from Canadian Pacific and other corporate matters
- Columbia Pipeline Group on its merger with TransCanada
- EXOR on its successful hostile takeover offer for PartnerRe
- Towson State University, Mass Communications (magna cum laude)
Memberships and Affiliations
- Volunteers of America, Greater New York Chapter, Vice Chairman of the Board