Who We Are
Sydney Isaacs advises companies on transactions, crises and other times of transition, as well as strategic investor relations and corporate communications needs. She serves a wide range of industries with particular expertise in the oil and gas sector. She has helped several companies announce and position transformative or complex M&A transactions, including Baker Hughes’ proposed and later blocked combination with Halliburton. She has also closely supported the successful bankruptcy reorganizations of more than two dozen companies.
Sydney regularly counsels companies as they work through difficult circumstances including regulatory investigations (including the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act), litigation, proxy fights and responses to activist shareholders, data losses, unexpected management transitions, poor financial results, physical disasters and other crises.
A native Houstonian, Sydney joined Abernathy MacGregor in 2005 in the firm’s Los Angeles office before moving to Houston when the firm expanded in the market.
Sydney has advised:
- More than two dozen companies, including several in the oil and gas industry, on bankruptcies and other financial or operational restructurings
- California Resources Corporation on its spin-off from Occidental Petroleum
- A major oilfield services company on its response to crises including violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act
- A major utility following a deadly gas pipeline explosion, including navigating a largely hostile political and regulatory environment and complex litigation
- A restaurant chain on crisis preparedness and response to crises including a viral social media crisis
- Whitestone REIT on its corporate positioning, including investor relations
- Stratus Properties on its successful defense against activist investor Carl Berg
- Insperity on its response to campaigns by shareholders Stadium Capital and Starboard Capital
- Omega Protein on projects including its defense against activist investor Wynnefield Capital
- Claremont McKenna College, dual B.A. Economics & Government, 2005 (cum laude)
Memberships and Affiliations
- Turnaround Management Association, Houston Chapter, President-elect
- National Investor Relations Institute – Houston Chapter Board member
- The Woods Project, Advisory Board member
- Graduate, Center for Houston’s Future’s Business/Civic Leadership Forum, Spring 2014
News, Publications and Achievements
- Houston Business Journal, “5 questions to ask about your communication strategy”
- Houston Business Journal Deals of the Year award, 2015, Judge