Who We Are
Rivian Bell’s primary area of focus is helping companies facing organizational and debt restructurings and Chapter 11 filings to ensure consistent messaging and information flow to preserve asset value. This work covers a broad range of communications practices, including internal communications, media relations, transaction communications, and crisis preparation and management. As the firm’s lead practitioner in this field, Rivian’s experience extends over three decades with major retailers, manufacturers, public utilities, financial services, airlines, computer products distributors, healthcare service providers, and gas and oil service providers. Some of her recent experience includes in-court and out–of-court restructurings with portfolio companies for Versa Capital Management, LLC; Molycorp, Inc.; American Hospice Management; Phoenix Brands, and Dex Media.
Rivian also works with private equity and private debt firms in transaction communications and reputation management. She has been particularly helpful in working with firms in North American and the United Kingdom on strategic growth tracks.
Prior to joining Abernathy MacGregor in 2001, Rivian owned and operated JDI Communications, Inc., a full-service marketing and public relations firm. She also worked with Sitrick and Company in the firm’s first decade and helped to build its corporate restructuring practice. Rivian entered the restructuring field as part of the notable Chapter 11 filing of Wickes Companies, Inc.
Rivian has advised:
- DexMedia on its prepackaged Chapter 11
- Molycorp, Inc. on its pre-negotiated Chapter 11
- Versa Capital Management, LLC on its acquisition of The Wet Seal, LLC
- Bell and Howell on its Chapter 11, sale, and emergence
- Praesidian Capital on various private debt transactions and exits and the launch of Praesidian Europe in the U.K.
- Pacific Strategic Partners on numerous acquisitions for its fund, including Brundage-Bone Concrete Pumping, Inc.
- First American Corporation in various crisis media situations
- California State University at San Francisco, M.A. Radio & Television, 1976
- Barnard College, Columbia University, B.A. Comparative Politics, 1973
- Hebrew (written)
Memberships and Affiliations
- Turnaround Management Association, Southern California Chapter, board of directors
News, Publications and Achievements
- Author of five nonfiction children’s books