Who We Are
James Lucas joined the firm in 2000 and served as a managing director until 2015. His clients include technology, energy and financial-services companies. He provides corporate PR and investor-relations services, and has deep experience with corporate transformations including mergers and acquisitions, restructurings and securities offerings, as well as corporate crises, proxy contests and responses to activist investors.
James has helped lead multiple engagements on behalf of clients such as Alpha & Omega Semiconductors, Baker Hughes, Adobe, McAfee, Safeway, Schnitzer Steel, Verisign and Websense. He has worked with many of the firm’s recurring clients in the West, including AECOM, Avery Dennison, Precision Castparts and City National Bank.
James has advised:
- Guidance Software regarding contested proxy matters
- Stratus Properties on its successful defense against activist investor Carl Berg
- Kraton Performance Polymers in its $1.3-billion acquisition of Arizona Chemical
- Baker Hughes as it responded to Halliburton’s unsolicited acquisition attempt
- Safeway in its $7-billion sale to Albertsons
Before joining Abernathy MacGregor, Mr. Lucas operated his own IR agency and led communications functions at major HMO companies. He began his career as a daily newspaper reporter.
- Duke University, M.A. History
- Kenyon College, B.A. Political Science