Who We Are
James Bourne provides strategic communications counsel to clients ranging from publicly traded multinational corporations to leading private equity firms, helping them develop and implement communications strategies that resonate with the audiences that matter. His work supports clients with mergers & acquisitions, litigation, executive transitions, governance issues, shareholder activism, and crisis preparedness and response.
James helps clients communicate effectively with customers, employees, investors and the media. He counsels clients on how to tell their stories, engage their audiences and counter their critics. James has helped companies prepare for crises and led their responses to them, enabling them to change public perceptions and connect with key stakeholders.
In his transaction work, James has supported numerous mergers and acquisitions with a total value of more than $125 billion. He has advised companies facing governance challenges including failed Say on Pay votes and adverse proxy advisory recommendations. His experience also includes advising clients facing public short attacks, dissenting founders, and contentious proxy contests and he has worked closely with clients facing formidable shareholder activists including Elliott Management, JANA Partners and Starboard Value.
James has advised:
- Edison International in a statewide campaign to reform the way California addresses wildfire prevention, suppression, and liabilities in the face of climate change
- The Los Angeles Dodgers as the team faced media relations challenges
- Hellman & Friedman in its $11 billion take-private buyout of cloud human resources software company Ultimate Software
- Toyota on rankings management and stakeholder engagement
- QEP Resources in its discussions and settlement with activist shareholder Elliott Management
- Alaska Airlines on its $4.0 billion acquisition of Virgin America
- Bechtel on the complex challenges associated with the largest nuclear clean-up in the United States
- The City of Detroit in its historic Chapter 9 bankruptcy filing
Colgate University, B.A. International Relations, Writing and Rhetoric, 2013
Memberships and Affiliations
Levitt Pavilion Los Angeles, Board Secretary