Who We Are
Ian Campbell is Vice Chairman of the firm and founded Abernathy MacGregor’s offices in the West. He focuses on crisis communications, mergers and acquisitions, investor relations, financial PR and issues management across a broad range of industries. He has directed or advised communications teams in over 150 M&A assignments.
An expert in shareholder activism, Ian has advised on numerous proxy fights and other control contests. He also has managed crisis and regulatory assignments that include SEC investigations, multi-state attorneys general investigations, anti-trust matters, cases under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and issues involving the FTC, FERC, CPUC, NTSB and every national banking regulator.
Before joining Abernathy MacGregor in 1997, Ian began his career as a journalist and served 12 years as senior vice president of Great Western Financial Corporation. He served as deputy director of the California Department of Commerce under Governor George Deukmejian and vice president of a national business and public relations consulting firm. He graduated magna cum laude from Pomona College, and has a master’s degree from Occidental College.
- KLA-Tencor and Lam Research in their merger
- Precision Castparts in its sale to Berkshire Hathaway
- City National in its sale to Royal Bank of Canada
- Iron Mountain in its acquisition of Recall Holdings
- Baker Hughes in its proposed sale to Halliburton
- AECOM Technology Corporation in its purchase of URS Corporation
- Safeway in its sale to Cerberus and combination with Albertsons
- Mattel in its acquisition of MEGA Brands
- Shuanghui (now WH Group) in its acquisition of Smithfield Food
- Occidental College, M.A.U.S.
- Pomona College, B.A. B.A. Government (magna cum laude)
Memberships and Affiliations
- Coro Southern California, Chair
- USC School of Law Institute for Corporate Counsel, Treasurer
- California Parks and Recreation Commission, Chairman
- Coro Foundation, National Chair
- California Historical Society, Former Trustee
- California Taxpayers’ Association, Former Director