Who We Are
Dan Scorpio is the Head of M&A and Activism at Abernathy MacGregor. He provides communications, stakeholder engagement and reputation management counsel to executive leadership teams and Boards of Directors, with an emphasis on transactions, shareholder activism, crisis/litigation and governance matters.
His recent M&A and activism advisory work includes T-Mobile’s acquisition of Sprint, IFF’s RMT with DuPont’s Nutrition & Biosciences business, Keurig Green Mountain’s acquisition of Dr Pepper Snapple Group, CSX’s defense against Mantle Ridge, Anthem’s proposed acquisition of Cigna, Sirona Dental Systems’ merger with Dentsply, Coach’s acquisition of Kate Spade and JAB Holding Company’s acquisitions of Krispy Kreme, Panera Bread and Pret A Manger.
Dan has also developed and executed strategic corporate positioning, thought leadership and investor communications programs for, among others, Pritzker Private Capital, Gibson Brands, AB InBev, Starwood Capital Group, Amherst Holdings and Amherst Pierpont Securities.
Prior to joining Abernathy MacGregor in 2015, Dan was an account director at RF|Binder Partners, where he was a member of the agency’s media relations team serving clients in the financial technology, wealth management, insurance and asset management sectors. He has experience developing executive thought leadership campaigns and B2B digital and social media programs for transaction and activism situations.
Dan has advised:
- T-Mobile during its $59 billion acquisition of Sprint
- IFF on its $45 billion Reverse Morris Trust combination with DuPont’s Nutrition & Biosciences business
- Boston Beer Company on its acquisition of craft brewer Dogfish Head
- CSX on its defense against activist Mantle Ridge
- Astellas Pharma on its $3 billion acquisition of Audentes Therapeutics
- Carlson Hotels on the cross-border combination with China’s HNA Tourism Group
- JAB Holding on its acquisitions of Krispy Kreme, Panera, Pret A Manger and Compassion-First Pet Hospitals
- Sirona Dental Systems on its $13 billion merger of equals with Dentsply International
- Anthem on its proposed $48 billion acquisition of Cigna
- Dex Media and Gibson Brands regarding Chapter 11 filings and emergence communications
- Syracuse University S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communication, B.S. Newspaper Journalism, 2011