Who We Are
Chuck Dohrenwend co-leads Abernathy MacGregor’s private equity practice and works closely with sponsor firm investment professionals and portfolio company leadership teams to optimize their investment and value-creation strategies through effective communications. His work encompasses reputation management, transaction communications, investor relations, and crisis preparedness and management. His extensive private equity experience includes work for firms of different sizes, investment strategies and geographic focus areas. His recent private equity client experience includes Cressey & Company, JMI Equity, Madison Dearborn Partners, Verlinvest, and Versa Capital.
Chuck also provides counsel to senior executives and board members during pivotal moments such as investments and divestments, mergers, leadership transitions, and restructurings – both within and outside private equity. He also has helped numerous companies transition from private to public ownership, develop and implement corporate communications and investor relations programs, and manage through challenging situations. Notably, his experience includes work for U.S. companies as well as non-U.S. companies active in the U.S. capital markets.
In addition to his client work, as Head of Operations, Chuck oversees Abernathy’s IT and research, bringing these functions together to generate and execute on new business ideas and augment the services the firm provides to clients.
Prior to joining Abernathy in 2004, Chuck held communications posts at Broadgate Consultants, Nasdaq-listed Knight Capital Group (now part of Virtu Financial) and Edelman Public Relations.
Chuck has advised:
- Madison Dearborn Partners on all of its transactions since 2008, including its PIPE investment in EVO Payments in March 2020 and take-private acquisition of Benefytt Technologies in August 2020
- HMS in its agreed acquisition by Veritas Capital-backed Gainwell Technologies
- A publicly listed technology company as it evaluated and responded to an unsolicited and publicly disclosed bid
- The Board of a publicly listed financial services company through a leadership transition taking place amid an acquisition announcement and a significant client event
- Verlinvest during the announcements of Blackstone’s growth equity investment in Oatly and a new funding round for Hint Water
- TOMS Shoes with respect to its transfer of equity ownership to a group of creditors
- Numerous private equity backed companies on a range of events, including mergers and acquisitions, IPOs, quarterly earnings, executive transitions, and crises
- SJW Group during its contested merger (on both sides) with Connecticut Water Service, which resulted in the third largest investor-owned water utility in the United States
- The City of Detroit in its Chapter 9
- College of the Holy Cross, B.A. History, 1995
- London School of Economics and Political Science, Hansard Society Scholars, 1993
News, Publications and Achievements
- Buyouts: "Private Equity Carries a Big Stick and Should Speak Loudly"
- Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation: “Wake up the Raiders: Considerations for Private Equity Going Activist”