Who We Are
Chuck Dohrenwend helps companies optimize their business strategies through effective communications. He provides counsel to senior executives and board members during pivotal moments such as investments and divestments, mergers, leadership transitions, and restructurings. He also has helped numerous companies transition from private to public ownership, develop and implement corporate communications and investor relations programs, and manage through challenging situations. Notably, his experience encompasses work for U.S. companies as well as non-U.S. companies active in the U.S. capital markets.
Chuck’s diverse experience includes his work to help private equity firms enhance their investment strategies through communications aligned to value preservation and enhancement. This encompasses – at both the sponsor firm and portfolio company level – reputation management, transaction communications, and crisis preparation and management. His extensive private equity experience includes work for firms of different sizes, investment strategies and geographic focus. His recent client experience includes Advent International, JMI Equity, and Madison Dearborn Partners.
In addition to his client work, as Head of Operations, Chuck oversees Abernathy MacGregor’s IT, research and marketing, bringing these functions together to generate and execute on new business ideas and augment the services the firm provides to clients.
Prior to joining Abernathy MacGregor in 2004, Chuck held communications posts at Broadgate Consultants, Nasdaq-listed Knight Capital Group (now part of Virtu Financial) and Edelman Public Relations.
Chuck has advised:
- Advent International on its North American, Latin American and Indian transactions since 2010 and on the completion of fundraising for its most recent global and Latin American funds
- Madison Dearborn Partners on all of its transactions since 2008
- Koppers on its acquisition of Cox Industrial
- Private equity backed portfolio companies on a range of special situations, including executive transitions and other matters
- The City of Detroit on its chapter 9
- Dex Media on its prepackaged chapter 11 and subsequent acquisition of YP to form DexYP
- Shuanghui International (now WH Group) on its acquisition of Smithfield Foods
- College of the Holy Cross, B.A. History, 1995
- London School of Economics and Political Science, Hansard Society Scholars, 1993