Who We Are
Chuck Dohrenwend helps companies and private equity firms optimize their business strategies through effective communications. He provides counsel to senior executives and board members during pivotal moments such as investments and divestments, mergers and acquisitions, leadership transitions, and restructurings. He also has helped numerous companies transition from private to public ownership, develop and implement corporate communications and investor relations programs, and manage through challenging situations. Notably, his experience encompasses work for U.S. companies as well as non-U.S. companies active in the U.S. capital markets.
Chuck’s diverse experience includes his work to help private equity firms enhance their investment strategies through communications aligned to value preservation and enhancement. This encompasses – at both the sponsor firm and portfolio company level – reputation management, transaction communications, and crisis preparation and management. His extensive private equity experience includes work for firms of different sizes, investment strategies and geographic focus. His recent client experience includes Advent International, Cressey & Company, JMI Equity, Madison Dearborn Partners, and Siris Capital.
In addition to his client work, as Head of Operations, Chuck oversees Abernathy MacGregor’s IT and research, bringing these functions together to generate and execute new business ideas and augment the services the firm provides to clients.
Prior to joining Abernathy MacGregor in 2004, Chuck held communications posts at Broadgate Consultants, Nasdaq-listed Knight Capital Group (now part of Virtu Financial) and Edelman Public Relations.
Chuck has advised:
- SJW Group on its merger transaction with Connecticut Water Service and receipt of multiple unsolicited acquisition proposals from California Water Service
- Advent International on its North American, Latin American and Indian transactions since 2010 and on the completion of fundraising for its most recent global and Latin American funds
- Madison Dearborn Partners on all of its transactions since 2008
- Koppers on its acquisition of Cox Industrial
- WisdomTree on its acquisition of ETF Securities' European exchange-traded commodity, currency and short-and-leveraged business
- Private equity backed portfolio companies on a range of special situations, including mergers and acquisitions, executive transitions, financial restatements, crises and other matters
- The City of Detroit on its chapter 9
- Dex Media on its prepackaged chapter 11 and subsequent acquisition of YP to form DexYP
- College of the Holy Cross, B.A. History, 1995
- London School of Economics and Political Science, Hansard Society Scholars, 1993
News, Publications and Achievements
- Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation: “Wake up the Raiders: Considerations for Private Equity Going Activist”