Who We Are
Chuck Burgess is the firm’s president, based in its New York office. He advises senior executives and Boards of Directors on strategic communications, investor relations, media relations and M&A communications in a broad range of industries, including transportation, technology, healthcare, real estate, consumer products and manufacturing. He has managed communications for more than 150 friendly and hostile transactions totaling over $550 billion and has led many of the firm’s most significant special situations, including bankruptcies and restructurings, shareholder activism, proxy fights and crisis assignments. He also serves as an ongoing advisor to corporate management teams and Boards on issues of enterprise risk management, corporate reputation and thought leadership. His clients have included leading companies in the Fortune 500, CAC 40, DAX 30 and FTSE 100.
Chuck is a member of Abernathy MacGregor’s executive committee, which has responsibility for the firm’s strategic direction and day-to-day operational management. He also serves as a board member of AMO, the leading global partnership of corporate and financial communications consultancies in Europe, Asia and the Americas.
Before joining Abernathy MacGregor in 1994, Chuck focused on media and investor relations at Ogilvy Adams & Rinehart, where he advised financial services clients such as Deutsche Bank, New York Life, Chemical Bank and FGIC. Previously, he served in the press office of Senator John Warner.
Chuck has advised:
- Alaska Air Group, in its $4.0 billion acquisition of Virgin America
- Dex Media, in its pre-packaged Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing
- Iron Mountain, in its $2.4 billion acquisition of Recall, Inc.
- ZF in its $13.5 billion acquisition of TRW
- Vivendi in its engagement with activist shareholder P. Schoenberg Asset Management
- AECOM in its $5.8 billion acquisition of URS
- TriplePoint Venture Growth in its initial public offering
- Hudson’s Bay Company in its $2.9 billion acquisition of Saks Fifth Avenue
- Royalty Pharma in its $6.5 billion acquisition offer for Elan
- The City of Detroit in its historic Chapter 9 bankruptcy filing
- Spirit Realty in its initial public offering
- Spirit Realty in its $3.9 billion merger with Cole II
- Sanofi, in its $19.5 billion acquisition of Genzyme
- Sanofi in its $2.1 billion acquisition of Chattem, Inc.
- General Growth Properties in its Chapter 11 restructuring
- General Growth Properties in its defense against unsolicited bid from Simon Property Group
- Republic Service, in its $12.3 billion acquisition of Allied Waste
- CME Group in its $9.5 billion acquisition of NYMEX
- CME Group in its $11 billion acquisition of Chicago Board of Trade
- Cemex in its $15.6 billion acquisition of Rinker
- Alcatel in its $16.4 billion acquisition of Lucent Technologies
- Mittal Steel in its $38 billion acquisition of Arcelor
- University of Pennsylvania, The Wharton School, Executive Education Program
- Georgetown University, B.A. English (cum laude)
- German (intermediate)
Memberships and Affiliations
- National Investor Relations Institute
- VIP Community Services, Chairman of the Board