Vice President, Washington, D.C.
Abernathy MacGregor, a leading strategic communications advisor, is looking for an experienced professional to join its new Washington, D.C. office as a Vice President. Our clients include many of the world’s leading companies and organizations, which come to us for help communicating their stories to investors, customers, employees and other key audiences.
- Five to seven years of public policy, communications or government affairs experience with strong knowledge of at least two, and preferably more of the following areas including:
- Media relations
- Corporate public relations
- Digital and social media
- Public policy or regulatory affairs
- Capitol Hill or legislative affairs
- Strategic advising and planning
- Business leader and employee communications
- Campaign planning and execution
- Issue advocacy communications and engagement
- Advanced capability in at least one functional area
- Media Relations
- Public Policy
- A bachelor’s degree
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- Demonstrable advanced writing skills, e.g. ability to draft longer, complex documents such as, speeches, op-eds, strategy memos, white papers, etc.
Operational capabilities should include ability to:
- Work calmly and collaboratively with colleagues to deliver high-quality advice often in times of high-stakes change
- Build trust and work effectively with primary client contacts
- Work effectively with reporters and news media on behalf of clients
- Work effectively with equivalent team members from law firms, investment banks, other advisors
- Develop a personal network of peers in above constituencies
- Serve as a firm ambassador in external marketing functions
- Identify potential new business opportunities and contribute meaningfully to business generation initiatives, including with existing clients
- Serve as a project manager for high intensity projects such as deals or crisis situations
- Contribute meaningfully to new business presentations and client strategy sessions
- Manage projects for quality control, timeliness, respect for internal and client processes and budget
- Mentor and supervise the work of junior team members
How we measure success
- Demonstrate a collaborative personality, working with different people across different geographies, seeking and successfully achieving buy-in on project approaches and concepts
- Be a sought-after internal partner, known for sound advice, reliable and on-brand performance and respect for both Abernathy MacGregor and client approval processes
- Superior quality, reliable and timely work and commitment to a 24/7 work environment when needed
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. Please note that we will not sponsor applicants for work visas.
To apply, please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. (A complete application will include both documents.) We will review your application and contact you if you are selected for an interview.
Abernathy MacGregor (abmac.com) is a leading strategic communications firm with offices in New York, Houston, Los Angeles, San Francisco and Washington, D.C. We specialize in advising CEOs, board directors and senior executives on effective stakeholder communications, engagement and advocacy initiatives amid changing expectations and demands from a range of internal and external stakeholders. The firm has a proven 35-year history helping clients build and preserve value, seize opportunities and solve problems.
We create communications and engagement strategies for pivotal business events from crisis management and litigation to M&A and shareholder activism to CEO transitions, both planned and unexpected. We also help clients create and maintain day-to-day, best-in-class communications and engagement practices. These include reputation management, investor relations and media relations counsel, government affairs and governance support.
Abernathy is a member of Havas SA, which is one of the largest global advertising and communications groups in the world. We are also a founding member of AMO (amo-global.com), the leading international network of strategic communications consultancies.